SDSF Program and Activities
Hope and Homes for Children (or, SDSF) is a local NGO based in Prishtina (the Kosovar capital). Since 2001, it has been providing a unique and exclusive social service for children at risk. Hope and Homes for Children provides a home environment for children without parental care, victims of domestic violence, abused children and victims of trafficking. Many of the children are then placed in the homes of host families. Hope and Homes for Children has provided care for over 700 vulnerable children in Prizren and Prishtina using a child-focused approach that is designed to meet each child’s individual needs.
The SDSF program introduces a vital and necessary alternative to family care for some of the most vulnerable groups of children in Kosovo who otherwise might be forced into a life of crime, exploitation and/or abuse for survival. Through a successful rehabilitation and reintegration of the child, they are ultimately placed with either responsible family members or other caretakers.
SDSF activities and services include:
– Providing a supportive and safe environment for the most vulnerable children, through multidisciplinary and multi-sector approach
– Identifying children’s needs and developing Individual Development and Education Plans
– Attending to the child’s day to day needs for providing the highest quality of care possible
– Providing general medical checks including eye checks, dental checks, blood tests and immunizations.
– Providing children with psychological evaluation and assistance / counselling
– Providing children with social counselling
– Providing rehabilitation services to prepare the child for socioeconomic integration / reintegration
– Registering the children in the community school and arranging informal education in the shelter when registration in school is not possible
– Teaching children life skills